Sunday, September 13, 2009

2008 Life studies

Each morning at The Atelier all students are required to draw or paint from live models. Some days we work on charcoal drawings which then lead to oil paintings, and some days we work on quicker pencil studies. The drawings below are some of the pencil studies that I completed in 2008.





Below is a series of photos showing the process that I used in order to complete my first black and white oil painting of a human figure. A pencil drawing was completed in 3 morning sessions. Then I completed 2 anatomy studies in order to gain a better understanding of all the bumps and bulges that make up the human body. Once the anatomy studies were completed, I drew the figure once more in charcoal. This drawing was then transferred to canvas. During each step of the process, any necessary corrections are being made. The oil painting is the final (and most fun) step in the process.













No comments:

Post a Comment